There is a saying – “Water always finds its level,” and it’s true. It’s one of the most difficult things to tackle when it strikes, and many people lose their homes and life savings due to damage inflicted by water. However, not everything is lost. There are a few tips for cleaning your home after the damage and getting the condition back to status quo.
Unplug the electrical devices and move the furniture
The first and most important thing is to eliminate the electricity. Make sure to unplug everything from the power socket, because you risk an electric shock. As we all know, an electric shock can have tragic and fatal consequences. The faster you react, the more things you’ll be able to save.
After you’ve cut down the power, start moving the furniture to a safe place. If there was a flood in the room, start with the beds, chairs, and things located on the floor. Wood tends to absorb water quite quickly, so make sure to act fast. After you’ve removed the stuff from the floor, take the carpet out. You may be able to save the carpet, but it’s not advised. It can contain many pathogens, bacteria, and other health hazards. Some people believe that deep cleaning will solve the carpet problem; however, it’s not true.
Get rid of it
If you don’t have access to electricity, the good old basket will do the job. Try to gather as many people as possible to help you, and start getting rid of the water. The best place to toss it is down the drain. However, if the sewer in your neighborhood is under load, spill it on the lawn or in the backyard. Make sure not to spill it over fruit, vegetables, or any other foodstuff that you’re going to eat later. Remember, it contains hazardous bacteria and pathogens.
If you have access to electricity by the help of the extension cord, you should use a pump. It’s not a problem if you don’t own one, you can always rent it from a local hardware store. It’s much easier and quicker with the pump, but it also comes with a disadvantage – the use of electricity.
Dry the area out
A dehumidifier and a heating unit are your best bet for this step. If you don’t have access to these units, ventilate the area by leaving the doors and windows open. However, this way of drying an area isn’t advised because it’s slow and inefficient. Drying out the walls and the ceiling prevents the mold from spreading. Remember to act in a quick manner because you won’t have much time until the mold starts spreading around.